Friday, January 22, 2010

Bomb The Music Industry! - Album Minus Band (2005)

This was the album that introduced me to free music so it seems only natural to begin with an analysis of this fantastic debut from the collective that has since spawned four further full lengths, all available for free. I can’t remember where I heard about this album but on the first few listens I was compelled by the awesome catchiness of ‘Ready…Set…No!’ to really get into this band. It was punk rock and it was free. Since those are two of my favourite things I was in no position to dislike it. Musically the songs jump back and forth through various intermingled styles: from minimal acoustic tracks that build into satisfying crescendos (‘Sweet Home Cananada’), DC-style hardcore (Frantic opener ‘Blow Your Brains Out On Live TV’) and punk rock (‘It ceases to be whining…’) whilst remaining primarily rooted in ska punk upstrokery (‘Ready, Set, No…’). Barring a few more ballad-ish numbers, the album is dominated by fast, catchy sub three minute songs.

Tracklist:

1. Blow Your Brains Out On Live TV!!!
2. Does Your Face Hurt? No? ’Cause It’s Killin’ Me!!!
3. It Ceases to Be ‘Whining’ If You’re Still ‘Shitting Blood
4. Big Plans Of Sleeping In
5. I’m A Panic Bomb, Baby!
6. Sweet Home Cananada
7. Funcoland vs. The Southern Electorate
8. Ready... Set... No!!!
9. I’m Too Cooooool for Music
10. Pike St. - Park Slope
11. FRRRREEEEE BIIIIIIIRRRRD!!!!!!!!! FRRRRREEEEEEEEE
BIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRDDD!!!!

12. Future 86

Link