Saturday, January 23, 2010

They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18 (1992)

Superb pop craftsmen with a hyperactive sense of caprice, John Linnell and John Flansburgh channel surreal ideas into a catchy deluge of fun. Apollo 18, the Brooklyn duo's fourth album (not counting a rarities compilation), orbits a planet on which such topics as death, culture, identity and dining can all be dispatched with melodic intelligence and a clever phrase or three. Careful not to burden airy tunes with ponderous lyrics, the Giants inflate weighty topics with enough whimsy to mask their songs' unsmiling core. Without disguising the Giants' signature sound, the album switches genres with the dial-a-style eclecticism of a jukebox.

Tracklist:

1. Dig My Grave
2. I Palindrome I
3. She's Actual Size
4. My Evil Twin
5. Mammal
6. The Statue Got Me High
7. Spider
8. The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)
9. Dinner Bell
10. Narrow Your Eyes
11. Hall of Heads
12. Which Describes How You're Feeling
13. See the Constellation
14. If I Wasn't Shy
15. Turn Around
16. Hypnotist of Ladies
17. Fingertips: Everything Is Catching On Fire
18. Fingertips: Fingertips
19. Fingertips: I Hear the Wind Blow
20. Fingertips: Hey Now, Everybody
21. Fingertips: Who's That Standing Out the Window?
22. Fingertips: I Found a New Friend
23. Fingertips: Come On and Wreck My Car
24. Fingertips: Aren't You the Guy Who Hit Me in the Eye?"
25. Fingertips: Please Pass the Milk Please
26. Fingertips: Leave Me Alone
27. Fingertips: Who's Knockin' on the Wall?
28. Fingertips: All Alone
29. Fingertips: What's That Blue Thing?
30. Fingertips: Something Grabbed Ahold of My Hand
31. Fingertips: I Don't Understand You
32. Fingertips: I Heard a Sound
33. Fingertips: Mysterious Whisper
34. Fingertips: The Day That Love Came to Play
35. Fingertips: I'm Having a Heart Attack
36. Fingertips: Fingertips (Reprise)
37. Fingertips: I Walk Along Darkened Corridors
38. Space Suit

Link